Smart Meter Installation Code of Practice
Please find the documents below:
Information on Energy Efficiency
Efficient Use of Gas and Electricity:
Ways to be more energy efficient in your home.
- Boil your kettle with only the amount of water needed.
- User your Kettle to boil water for your cooking needs, instead of heating water on the hop from the start, this will speed up cooking process and help save energy.
- Fill your washing basin/bowl with water instead of letting your tap run while cleaning any dishware.
- Try to have a full load of laundry each time you use the washing machine.
- Wash clothes at 30 degrees and use the eco setting on your machine.
- During Summer months and dry day’s dry your clothes outside.
- Check that door to the fridge and Freezer are tightly closed.
- Do not keep doors opening for long periods of time.
- Maintain your boiler and have it serviced regularly.
- Use the timer setting on your boiler to set times for heating to come on.
- Control what rooms are heated by adjusting your radiators.
- Reducing the temperature in each room by one degree will help to save on your energy.
- Smart Meters are meters for your gas and electricity that will make it easier for you to monitor and track your gas and electricity use.
- No more need manual or estimated readings. A smart meter will be able to send on all this information automatically and accurately.
- You get to track your energy use and see what you use in pounds and pence
- Upgrades are at no extra cost to you.
- Check all appliances are plugged out at the mains, as when plugged appliances will still consume energy
- Do not over charge your mobile phones, Tablets/I-pads or any rechargeable appliance as this will consume more energy if kept plugged in.
Vulnerable Customers & Priority Services Register Information
We at Northumbria Energy would like to be able to assist our customers where we can. With that in mind we can offer some additional services to customers in vulnerable situations such as but not exclusively the following:
- Elderly Customers.
- Customers with a disability or chronic illness.
- Customers with a vision impairment.
- Customers who may be deaf or hard of hearing.
There are services we can offer in order to help make your experience with Northumbria Energy more beneficial to you. For example, you can nominate a relative or friend to manage your energy account on your behalf.
If you would like more information or would like to be included as a vulnerable customer, please give our customer service representatives a call on
0800 802 1169. Lines open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm.
In case of an emergency or outage.
If you smell gas, call the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999.
If you are experiencing an electricity emergency please call 105 to be connected to your network operator.*******************************************************************************
Priority Services Register
What’s the Priority Services Register?
Our Priority Services Register allows customers to get extra help and support with their energy supply
Who can sign up?
- Elderly Customers.
- Customers with a disability or chronic illness.
- Is deaf or hard of hearing.
How you can register for Priority Services Register?
Call us on 0800 802 1255 to register.
Examples of the help and support you can get:
- Free annual gas safety checks.
- Different ways of communicating with you, for example large print bills and braille bills.
- Personal password scheme when our meter readers come visit your home for a read.
- Authorised representative to handle your account.
- Quarterly meter read visit.
Free Gas Safety Checks!
To be eligible for a free annual gas safety check, you must be the owner of your own home and get a means tested benefit such as Pension Credit or income support. Also, one of the following must apply:
- You live alone.
- You live with adults who are aged over 60, disabled and or chronically sick.
- You live with at least one child under the age of five.
We know unemployment and being signed off work can be a concern for some individuals. At Northumbria Energy we offer you peace of mind and security as all of our energy agreements include a feature we call Payment Waiver. Payment Waiver will cover you if you are made redundant through no fault of your own or if you are signed off work by your Doctor.
With Payment Waiver we can waive up to six monthly Direct Debit payments, which you will never have to repay, and should you still be unemployed or signed off work by your Doctor after we have waived six monthly Direct Debit payments, we will also write-off (cancel) any remaining balance on your Northumbria Energy account. Terms and Conditions apply to Payment Waiver. For more information please see the Northumbria Energy Payment Waiver Addendum and our Payment Waiver FAQ
Gas Safety Information
If you smell gas, think you might have a leak, or worried that your gas appliance might be leaking carbon monoxide fumes, please call the free Gas Emergency Services line on 0800 111 999. Lines are open 24/7 including bank holidays.
Think you have a gas leak?
- Smell gas – Call the free Gas Emergency Services line immediately on 0800 111 999.
- Turn off your gas supply at your meter – in newer homes the valve will be located at meter box. In older homes search under the stairs, under the kitchen sink or in the garage to locate the valve.
- Do not smoke, light matches/ cigarette lighters, don’t switch anything electrical on or off and put out any naked flames like candles.
- Open all windows and doors to allow air to circulate.
The Dangers of Gas!
It is important that all our customers are aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide and gas leaks:
- Carbon monoxide is an odourless and colourless gas that can often come from faulty gas appliances or incorrectly installed appliances,
- Some early signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are: tiredness, drowsiness, headaches, pains in chest and stomach pains.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning can result in long lasting neurological damage or death.
Disconnections: Code of Practice
Northumbria Energy will always seek to work with each and every customer to avoid a situation where a disconnection is required. If you are struggling to pay your bills we will assist you in any way, we can. See our terms and conditions for more information on payment arrangements. In the interest of treating all our customers fairly we will endeavour to work with you to come up with the best solution on a case by case basis.
We will take all reasonable measures to ensure disconnection is not required however we do reserve the right to suspend or disconnect supply if the bill is not paid on time. As soon as payment has been processed, we will resume supply.
For further information on our disconnections policy’s please refer to section 13 of our terms and conditions.
Customer Fairness Promise
At Northumbria Energy we believe in treating all customers fairly:
- We do this in a way that is right/reasonable,
- By treating all people equally,
- By never allowing personal opinions to influence our judgement.
We seek to meet these needs by and ensure that fair treatment is at the foundation of everything we do.
To make sure we are treating everyone fairly we commit to these promises:
- To be honest, transparent and professional in everything we do
- To make it easy to contact us
- To act quickly courteously to resolve all queries
Paying your bill
How to pay your Bill:
- Fixed Direct Debit: This means that you pay for your energy supply every month by direct debit. Northumbria Energy will advise you what the set amount will be each month.
- Variable Direct Debit: This means that you pay for your energy supply every three months, upon receipt of each quarterly bill. The amount you pay will be based on the usage detailed within your bill.
- BACs Payment – You can also make a payment to Northumbria Energy directly from your bank to ours using the details below:
Name: Euston Energy Ltd
Sort Code: 30-93-55
Account Number: 71234368
IBAN: GB88 LOYD 3093 5566 5076 60
Please use your Account Number as a reference!
Please see our terms and conditions for more details about the above payment methods.
Struggling to pay you bill?
Give us a call and we can arrange a payment plan that suits your budget. What we may need to take into account:
- How much you can afford to pay:
Meaning we may ask for details of your income/outgoings, debts and personal circumstances.
- How much energy you may use in the future:
We can estimate this based on your past usage, but we can make the bills more accurate with regular meter reading.
Knowing your rights Document link